The Snowflake Quilt Pattern is now available at Sewfinity!
Why We Like It
Designed by Nicole of Modern Handcraft, the Snowflake Quilt is minimal and wintry. It's a modern design, with an offset large-scale snowflake. It's perfect for those wanting a non-traditional quilt to throw on the couch for some wintertime cuddling.
The variations in background design give you lots of customization options. Make the background one single color, four colors in horizontal stripes, scrappy, or make your own background design with the aid of the coloring page.
It comes together quickly: simple shapes and 2-at-a-time half-square triangle piecing make it pretty simple.
Tips + Tutorials
- The pattern features instructions with diagrams throughout and links for a coloring page, cutting diagrams, and cutting tags to make the sewing process easier. Don't miss printing those out!
- Sew Along: Nicole's Snowflake Sew Along 2, an 8-week sewalong Sep 7 - Oct 26, 2020. Sewfinity is a sponsor!
Inspiration + Ideas
Match-making our Kona Cotton Solids to the Snowflake quilt pattern was really fun and it was so inspiring to see so many color palettes come to life. Enjoy these digital mockups!
Follow the 4-color instructions and our color suggestions below to get some luscious gradient backgrounds. All you need for the quilt top is 1-yard cuts of 4 colors plus 2 yards of white.
Light warm colors:
- Yellow = Maize + Buttercup + Bright Idea + Citrus
- Orange = Ice Peach + Mango + Goldfish + School Bus
- Red = Creamsicle + Nectarine + Pimento + Lipstick
- Red Magenta = Primrose + Salmon + Punch + Watermelon
- Magenta = Carnation + Sassy Pink + Azalea + Honeysuckle
- Violet = Pansy + Dahlia + Magenta + Geranium
Light cool colors:
- Blue = Lavender + Amethyst + Brt Peri + Tulip
- Blue Cyan = Candy Blue + Hyacinth + Copen + Regatta
- Cyan = Lake + Peacock + Lagoon + Turquoise
- Green Cyan = Azure + Candy Green + Jade Green + Bluegrass
- Green = Aloe + Cypress + Fern + Clover
- Yellow Green = Green Tea + Asparagus + Chartreuse + Parrot
Dark warm colors:
- Yellow = Citrus + Wasabi + Pickle + Moss
- Orange = School Bus + Cedar + Cinnamon + Cappuccino
- Red = Lipstick + Cayenne + Paprika + Brown
- Red Magenta = Watermelon + Wine + Ruby + Crimson
- Magenta = Honeysuckle + Valentine + Sangria + Garnet
- Violet = Geranium + Dk Violet + Berry + Eggplant
Dark cool colors:
- Blue = Tulip + Purple + Nightfall + Regal
- Blue Cyan = Regatta + Marine + Windsor + Storm
- Cyan = Turquoise + Oasis + Teal Blue + Celestial
- Green Cyan = Bluegrass + Willow + Kelly + Spruce
- Green = Clover + Jungle + Basil + Pesto
- Yellow Green = Parrot + Grasshopper + Palm + Juniper
(opposite ends of the color wheel)
- Paprika + Red + Sour Apple + Palm
- Sangria + Brt Pink + Grasshopper + Basil
- Ruby + Punch + Kale + Kelly
(four corners of an imaginary square on the color wheel)
- Geranium + Brt Pink + Kiwi + Turquoise
- Punch + Chartreuse + Jade Green + Royal
- Astral + Clover + Goldfish + Honeysuckle
There's something to be said about a simple, classic 1-color background. Graphic and powerful, yes? Here are 9 ideas each of 3 different colors.
See what others are making and share your projects using #SnowflakeQuilt on Instagram or Facebook. And tag us @Sewfinity so we can see!
Get the Snowflake Quilt Pattern and have fun sewing!